[Aikido] One Month Message From Shishida Sensei

Sean Flynn flynn at vassar.edu
Tue Oct 7 19:53:07 EDT 2003

A Message to My Aikido Students Upon the One Month Anniversary of My
Arrival at Vassar
by Fumiaki Shishida

October 5, 2003

Please let me talk about my current thoughts.

When I stood here for the first time, I was very impressed with the large
number of members that the club had. More than 40 people were there and
lots of newcomers have joined the club since that day. Unfortunately, the
greater part of them have not continued to practice.

We might say that it could not be helped as they have their own priorities.
But, it is pity for us so that we, Dr. Sean and I, have been taking
measures to meet the situation.

Dr. Flynn's enthusiastic teaching has many strong points.  For instance,
his warming-up exercises, on the whole, cannot help but give students a
feeling of satisfaction. It is also good to practice for less than 3 hours,
and to give students water breaks several times. I am sure of his strengths
as an instructor whenever I see how students follow him and improve
themselves.

On the other hand, however, it may be a fact that it is hard for delicate
people to follow his rigorous training system. I think that it is necessary
to appoint some senior members to take charge of part of the class on a
three-shift basis. That is, we should divide the class into two groups,
seniors and newcomers. The two groups would normally practice together.
However, the newcomers could also practice separately, led by their tutors,
as occasion demands. Fortunately, we have several members who have
practiced eagerly with Dr. Flynn since his arriving at Vassar
College.  They can serve as tutors and help to implement these improvements.

I would like to introduce my thoughts about the practice of aikido to you
all. First, please attach greater importance to enjoying the practicing of
techniques. A happy attitude is useful both to make sure of the
effectiveness of our techniques and also to help us discuss them in an open
manner. We should avoid practicing in an unhappy mood as such an attitude
ruins our performance.  You should smile throughout practice, because
practice is not work but pleasure.

It is sometimes said in Japan that the Japanese martial arts are a way to
discipline our minds. Is this true? Yes, butI must say that if your goal is
to discipline your mind, then I recommend that you should not hesitate to
join a group that teaches meditation. Meditation systems such as Zen
contain much of the great wisdom of mankind.

On the other hand, we have taken another path, a path to discipline our
mind through practicing techniques, or physical exercises. But what is the
correct sense of this path?

It is that we should think of the Japanese martial arts scientifically,
because techniques are performed in the physical world. But both the
rational mind and plenty of practice only give us marvelous ability.
However, if another person also acquires marvelous ability, then our
current superiority over him will soon disappear. Therefore, we dare to
proceed to practice a randori-teaching system through a kata practice. W
hat is our purpose? It is  to acquire both true skill and a strong mind so
as  not to be unsettled by unusual people or strange events.

Life is not so long though we have lots of things to do in our lives.
Students in particular have to study hard everyday. But, please do not
forget that this is also the last time in your life that you can devote
yourself to physical activity. I know well that it is difficult to be both
a good warrior and a good scholar. But this constraint makes it even more
worthwhile devoting yourself to aikido in your college days.