[Aikido] A Questionnaire to Members of the Vassar College Aikido Club

shishida at waseda.jp shishida at waseda.jp
Wed Oct 15 08:30:41 EDT 2003

A Questionnaire to Members of the Vassar College Aikido Club
by Fumiaki Shishida
October 12th, 2003

Dear Friends,

I have been interested in the problems of importing Japanese martial
arts from
Japan to other countries, especially in terms of cultural differences.
In our
case, I think that there are obviously differences between Japan and
the USA in
terms of how to behave at practice in the dojo, and I feel that this
specific
problem is part of the important theme of comparative research between
different cultures.  But on the other hand, I have been worrying that
some
members of this club might feel uncomfortable with different cultural
norms.
Therefore, I would like to explain the manners of aikido practice to
you below.
But before you read my thoughts, I would appreciate it if you could
answer my
questions on this subject by email.  That is, please answer my
questions below
first, and then read my thoughts about cultural differences and
aikido.  Thank
you.

Please cut and paste the questions below, type in your answers, and
then send
them to me by the end of October Break at: shishida at waseda.jp
-----
*Name:
*Position (in case of student, school year):
*Todayユs date:
*How long have you practiced aikido?:
-----
1.  Have you taught the sense of bowing to the Shomen (the front of the
dojo)?

2.  What have you felt and thought when you bowed at the Shomen with
your
instructors (please answer before reading my explanation)?

3.  Next, read my thoughts on bowing to the Shomen.  After having read
my
explanation, what are your feelings and thoughts about bowing at the
Shomen
with your instructors?

(Concerning questions 2 and 3, long and substantial opinions will be
appreciated.)

Etiquette at the Vassar College Aikido Club
by Fumiaki Shishida

In Japan, the Shomen sits at the front of the practice room, but is
also the
heart of the dojo. It is normally decorated with the Japanese national
flag, a
hanging picture of Japanese warriors gods, and often with a picture of
the
founder of the martial art practiced in that dojo. That is, it is set
up in the
same way that one sets up a small shire in Japan.  Owing to this,
practitioners
worship every time they practice.  Because this is consistent with
Japanese
customs and the set of values that Japanese people were brought up
with, this
causes no problems or conflicts in Japan.  Japanese martial artists
simply take
them for granted.

But now, since there are plenty of foreigners who also like to practice
Japanese martial arts, how to behave inside the dojo has become an
important
subject of discussion.  How should we teach a practitioner who is
faithful to
their own religion and does not want to bow to those things that make
up the
Shomen?

My conclusion is that the Shomen should be considered a symbol of the
efforts
of our predecessors since time immemorial.  Consistent with this
thinking one
can accommodate the faithful of other religions by removing the picture
of the
Japanese warriors gods from the Shomen.  Similarly, one can remove the
Japanese
flag if the dojo is in the USA.  Frankly speaking, I do not even like
to put up
a picture of the founder, because I believe that reverence to the
founder never
originates from a forced faith.

  One day, a student told Master Tomiki that he wanted to take his
class.  This
student, however, took some credits by only observing, because he was
taught by
his religion not to practice any martial arts because of the religious
factors
embedded in martial arts.  (What the student explained to Master Tomiki
was
what I talked about above.)

  Around 10 years later I had a similar experience.  A student showed
me an
article from an Encyclopedia that said that the Japanese martial arts
were
originally just the skill of killing.  This article perplexed me a
little
because it had been written by Professor Tomiki who of course thought
of the
martial arts as a way to improve peopleユs characters, and not only as
killing
methods.  The student, though, had strong religious views about killing
and did
not wish to learn killing methods.   But, because he had to take my
class in
order to satisfy a requirement, he was perplexed.  I suggested to him a
compromise.  He would join my class and receive techniques and take
falls, but
would never practice the techniques against other people.  He agreed to
my
suggestion and we shared in each other's success.