[Aikido] Martial arts festival

ersnyder at vassar.edu ersnyder at vassar.edu
Wed Mar 10 00:12:21 EST 2004

dear everyone,
Skidmore College is hosting a great martial arts festival the weekend after we
get back from break. I will be going and probubly taking a car if anyone wants
a ride. The registration is very soon so please get back to me and send in your
registration if you want to go. this is not a competition but a great
opportunity to investigate many differant MA styles in a positive environment.
The festival does cost money but compared to similar events it is very
reasonable. At the end of this message is a great description.
further information including a schedule and registration is at this website:
http://www.skidmore.edu/studentorgs/martialarts/festival.html

Have a great break,
Eric

following is quote from the SMAF website that describes the festival:

The Saratoga Martial Arts Festival is perhaps the premiere, non-competitive
martial arts event in the Saratoga region. This year’s event will feature
nearly two dozen of the finest instructors from Saratoga county and beyond,
with some coming from as far as Virginia! The SMAF is welcomes instructors of
all styles: “hard,” “soft,” “internal,” “external,” Japanese, Chinese, Korean,
Malaysian, “hybrid,” “modern,” “traditional,” etc. We equally welcome
participants of all ranks and styles; you do not have to be an advanced student
in order to attend and enjoy this festival! In fact, it is a non-
sparring, “light touch” event where everyone works constructively with one
another in the spirit of learning.

The SMAF works as follows: There will be several 90 minutes blocks throughout
the day—six on Saturday, four on Sunday—each of which will feature three or
four instructors, each offering a workshop on an aspect of their style of
martial arts. The only difficulty you’ll encounter over the course of the day
is having to choose just one instructor in each 90 minute time block.
Fortunately, you cannot make a bad choice!

While martial arts tournaments are relatively common, instructional events such
as this one are a rare commodity in the martial arts, especially in Saratoga.
(One similar event is Sensei Campos’ Super Summer Seminars. Ask him about it at
SMAF!) All together, our instructors bring over 750 years of martial arts
knowledge and experience to our event! Furthermore, our event costs less than
half of what you will pay for similar events around the country! Please note
that the festival is only for those ages 14 and up.