[Aikido] Go to the Arnolds!

Sean Flynn flynn at vassar.edu
Sun Feb 13 17:28:18 EST 2005

Dear Everybody,

  I am disappointed by the currently low turnout for the Arnolds.  Last
year, the first year we went, we took 19 people!

  Please understand that even if you are not planning on entering any
events, going is lots of fun and just by watching the tournament and
participating in the seminars and being able to ask lots of questions to
senior instructors, you'll be able to learn a huge amount.

  I can't emphasize how important it is to train with people outside of your
own club.  Since we're all friends in this club, we all try to get along.  A
consequence of that is that we all fall, as a group, into common habits and
ways of doing things.  Moreover, we don't even realize that they're habits.
By going to tournaments, you find out how other people do things and can
thereby not only learn from them, but on a more fundamental level begin to
notice the things that you are doing as habits rather than because they're
the best way to do things.

  In addition, aikido players are among the nicest people you'll ever meet.
I have made many life long friends through aikido and you will, too, if you
begin to attend tournaments, etc.

  So, everybody please go!

  Spring Break is two weeks long, so you'll still have plenty of other time
to do stuff besides aikido if you go to the tournament.

  And if you go, I'm pretty confident that in later years the only thing
about this year's Spring Break that you'll remember will be your time at the
Arnolds.

Cheers,

Sean