[Aikido] Important business

Eric Snyder ersnyder at vassar.edu
Sun Apr 8 02:27:19 EDT 2007

Dear Aikidoka,
Four important things to cover: (You get a prize if you read all the way
through)

1. Our amazing seminar event (You have no excuses not to come)
2. Elections (why YOU should be president)
3. Budgeting (making your wildest dreams for the club come true)
4. Belt tests and end of the year party (unique party suggestions welcome)

1.	We are hosting a great event April 28-29 in which we will bring in
many great and highly sought after instructors from all over eastern NY.
This is an unprecedented opportunity to learn from some great people with a
lot of experience and skill, right here on campus. We are serving Dinner on
Saturday night and having a social get together afterwards. Most notably
this is all free to members of our club as long as you commit to help do
things on the weekend of the event. Please email me now if you want to
participate, because I need to know who I can count on to help out. This is
our biggest fundraiser of the year and I am sure it will be a great time. I
will send a second email with an attached a schedule and flyer.

2.	Please start thinking about next year if you will be here. We need
committed people to help run the club next year. This is a great opportunity
to give back to the club as well as be in a guiding position for all of the
activities that we do. You get to be in the drivers seat (we can ease you
into it). If you know someone who you think would do well in one of the
following positions or if you would be willing to hold a position please
email your nomination to me within the next 2 weeks. (Descriptions of the
positions are at the end of this email)

President
Vice-President
Secretary
Treasurer

3.	If you will be around next year and think that you may be a leader
of the club. Now is the time to tell me if you have any ideas, thoughts, or
directions for the club. I am putting together the budget for next year and
will be happy to add money for anything that the upcoming officers or
members want to do (it can be a vague idea or wild dream, we do not need to
plan it at this point), but I need to know by this Monday.

4.	I assume we will be holding belt tests at the end of the year along
with a party. Likely during Study break but this will get more exact as the
time nears.

I know it was long (but very important) so thanks for reading, To collect
your prize stop by TA-32 and you can practice your KoteGeishi on a real live
Uke.
-Eric

Officer Responsibilities

The officers will hold bi-weekly meetings to discuss the direction of the
club and to plan future events and fundraisers.

President:

The chief responsibilities of the President are to help promote club unity,
act as the club liaison, write and submit VSA organizational reports, reply
to VAC's emails, and to contribute suggestions and/or ideas for future
events that could be held at Vassar or off-campus.

Vice-President:

	The chief duties of the Vice-President are to organize and plan
events, demonstrations, speakers, and educators. Also the Vice-President is
in charge of publicity, reservations, speakers, and to aid in future-events
planning. The Vice-President will work closely with the other officers in
planning events and competitions, making sure the dates and schedules of
members do not conflict.

Secretary:

 	The chief duties of the secretary are to aid the president in
overseeing the daily activities of the club, research and offer ideas on
future competitions/events, and act as a proxy when the President cannot be
present.  The secretary is also expected to keep up-to-date membership and
mailing lists.  Furthermore, the secretary is expected to help publicize
events and meet with potential speakers and guests.

Treasurer:

	The chief duties of the treasurer are to attend treasurer meetings,
take care of purchases and reimbursements, design and allocate a budget,
write a budget proposal, petition for funds, keep accurate records of the
budget, and to plan fundraising events.