[Aikido] Kangeiko Winter Training!

Sean Flynn flynn at vassar.edu
Fri Jan 19 21:26:33 EST 2007

Dear Everybody,

   Let's start a new club tradition---kangeiko, or Winter Training Camp.

   In Japan, entire clubs will literally go to a dojo in the remote
mountains and spend two or three days training very hard core.  Typically,
the dojo is open air and totally unheated.  So your feet are freezing even
if the rest of you is sweating buckets from hard exertion.

   We won't go crazy like that.

   But, instead, let's have extended afternoon practices on both Monday and
Tuesday in our normal room, the MPR.  Let's practice from 1 to 5 p.m. each
day.  I will be going over the entire Junana-hon, reviewing the Juppon Ura
Waza, and some advanced techniques from the dai san in addtion to do lots
of repetitions of the Nanhon no Kuzushi waza.

   This will be big fun!

   I want everyone to come as much as possible both days.  It will build a
solid base for us as we proceed through the semester and build up our
abilities in preparation for the World Championships, which the US is
hosting this August.  I want everyone in the club to go and
participate.  You'll make many new friends from all over the world and also
see some truly amazing, world-class aikido out of the Japanese and British
and Belgians.

Cheers,

Sean

Yours truly,