[Aikido] Upcoming Events

Jeffrey Stickle jestickle at vassar.edu
Mon Sep 24 23:23:45 EDT 2007

Hey fellow Aikidoka!

I hope this semester is going well for everybody. We've got a great
group of beginners this year and practices are going great. Now on to
the upcoming events:

1. Arlington Street Fair. This Saturday from 12:00-6:00 is the
Arlington Street Fair. For those of you who don't know what it is,
Raymond Avenue gets shut down and vendors and organizations set up
tables all along the street. For the fair, we are going to be having
interactive demonstrations. What this means is that we are going to
need all the help we can get to man a table and have at least 2
people demonstrating, hopefully during entire duration of the fair. I
know it is Freshmen Parent's Weekend, but if we could get people to
stop by and help out for an hour or two, that would be great. Let me
know if you can help out and what time period you can come. Even if
you can't help out, the fair is a great time and everyone should
check it out.

2. Club Party. We are going to be hosting a somewhat small party for
everyone to get to know each other better outside of the dojo
environment. There will be fun things to do and free food. The date
and time that we have set for the party right now is Friday, October
5th at 6:00 PM. If this date/time is a problem for people, let me
know. The probable location is TA 14, but I'll confirm that once
everything is completely worked out.

3. Not an event, but a reminder that we have a small martial arts
library. There is a list of all the books in one of the bins in the
Gym MPR (our practice room) for anyone that is interested. Let me
know if anybody wants to borrow one and I'l bring it for them.

4. Personal plug. I'm personally hosting a Japanese Culture Night
series this semester, the first of which is to be held on this
Wednesday, September 26th at 6:30 in the Faculty Parlor (Main
Building, 2nd floor). The theme of this night is Japanese music,
traditional and contemporary. Also, there will be free sushi, miso
soup, and other assorted snacks and sweets. I'm hoping that there
will be plenty to go around, but all food is on a first come, first
serve basis, so get there early!

That's all for now. See you all at practice.

Jeff