[Sci-all-l] Physics and Astronomy Student Colloquium: Part 4

Scott Fleming scfleming at vassar.edu
Thu Oct 7 19:43:28 EDT 2004

Part 4 of the Vassar College Physics and Astronomy Student Colloquium will
be held on Monday, October 11 at 4:00 PM in Sanders Physics Lecture Hall,
Room 207.  Tea and cookies will be served before the talks.  All are
welcome to come and hear about the exciting research performed by Vassar
College students over the summer.  Part 4 will feature talks by Matt
Rosenfeld and Zach Proulx:

Matt Rosenfeld and Zach Proulx, Vassar College

Title:  Make It, Then Break It:  The Story of Stellar Evolution and
Stellar Collisions

Abstract: We expanded our three-dimensional Smoothed Particle
Hydrodynamics (SPH) and Tycho stellar evolution codes.  This summer we
considered both red giant and low-mass population II stars.  We worked
with our Tycho stellar evolution code (originally developed by David
Arnett at the University of Arizona) to model low-mass population II stars
for collisions in our SPH code.  We also enhanced our SPH code to model
and simulate collisions involving red giant stars.