[Sci-all-l] Physics and Astronomy Colloquium

Luc Peterson japeterson at vassar.edu
Thu Sep 8 21:22:32 EDT 2005

Come to the first Physics and Astronomy Colloquium of the year!
Monday, September 12 in Sanders Physics Auditorium, Room 207.
Tea and cookies at 3:15 pm
Talk begins at 3:30 pm

The first in our series of student summer research presentations...

"The Elephant in the Room"
  A Novel Implementation of Massively Parallel Three Dimensional
Monte Carlo Radiation Transport

Luc Peterson and Peter Robinson
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

The goal of our summer project was to implement the difference
formulation for radiation transport into Cosmos++, a
multidimensional, massively parallel, magneto hydrodynamics code for
astrophysical applications (Peter Anninos – AX).  The difference
formulation is a new method for Symbolic Implicit Monte Carlo thermal
transport (Brooks and Szöke – PAT). Formerly, simultaneous
implementation of fully implicit Monte Carlo radiation transport in
multiple dimensions on multiple processors had not been convincingly
demonstrated. We found that a combination of the difference
formulation and the inherent structure of Cosmos++ makes such an
implementation both accurate and straightforward. We developed a
“nearly nearest neighbor physics” technique to allow each processor
to work independently, even with a fully implicit code. This
technique coupled with the increased accuracy of an implicit Monte
Carlo solution and the efficiency of parallel computing systems
allows us to demonstrate the possibility of massively parallel
thermal transport.

Again, that's Monday September 12, 3:15 pm, Sanders Physics 207.

Hope to see you there!

-The Physics and Astronomy Majors' Committee