[Sci-all-l] Three Physics Talks Next Week

Luc Peterson japeterson at vassar.edu
Fri Apr 21 10:22:43 EDT 2006

The physics and astronomy department would like to invite you to
three lectures next week by  candidates for next year's visiting
assistant professor position. A question/answer session will follow
each lecture at 3:00 pm.

Thank you.

-Luc Peterson, on behalf of the Physics and Astronomy Majors' Committee

-----

On Monday, 4/24/06 we have Brice Smith who will be giving a talk at
2:00pm in Sanders Physics lounge on
Environmental Radioactivity: Modeling the Risks

Over the last sixty years, a large number of sites have been
contaminated with naturally occurring and human made radionuclides.
While by far the largest sources of this contamination has been the
production of nuclear weapons and nuclear power, a number of other
activities have contributed to the problem as well.  The question
that we now face is to determine how clean is clean enough when these
sites are remediated.  In order to make that determination a number
of computer codes are used to model the transport of radionuclides
from the soil to people.  One of the most important of these is the
ResRad code developed at Argonne National Laboratory.  This talk will
introduce the conceptual model used by ResRad to model the transport
of radionuclides through the environment and address the areas where
more sophisticated treatment may be required to more accurately
represent the physical processes governing radionuclide transport in
the real world.  In addition, the models used to determine the impact
of radiation exposure in ResRad are based on methods more than 30
years old.  How these models of radiation risk may be updated to take
into account the greater radiosensitivity of women and children and
the possibility of non-cancer effects on the embryo/fetus will also
be discussed.

On Wednesday, 4/26/06 we have Paula Fekete , at 2:00pm in Sanders
Physics lounge on:
Nanostructures and Mesoscopic Physics

A talk given by Paula Fekete
Department of Physics, City University of New York,
Hunter College, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10021

Miniaturization has transformed our daily lives by making possible
mass production of inexpensive, integrated electronic circuits made
up of devices and wires with sub-micrometer dimensions.  These
semiconductor structures are now omnipresent, controlling everything
from our cell phones to our toasters.  It seems likely that
technology will reach a new, yet smaller scale in the near future,
the nanometer scale.  The development of such novel devices requires
a deep understanding of the physics of mesoscopic structures,
structures with dimensions much smaller than the mean free path of an
electron, which is the distance that an electron travels before its
initial momentum is changed.  These systems form a bridge between
macroscopic systems governed by classical physics and microscopic
systems governed by quantum physics.  This talk reviews some results
of experimental research into mesoscopic devices and outlines some of
the theoretical framework for understanding their behavior.
On Friday, 4/28/06 we have Samuel Amanuel, at 2:00pm in Sanders
Physics lounge on:

Curing Reaction Behavior of Nano Scaled Phenolic Resin Solution:
Thermal and Molecular Vibration Studies

Samuel Amanuel* and Vivak M. MalhotraÝ
Department of Physics
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-4401

There is a considerable body of data which shows that physical
confinements of polymers at nanoscale (< 125 nm) alter their
thermodynamic and dynamic properties as manifested by the change in
their glass transition temperature relative to bulk state.  However,
of equal practical importance is how nanoscale physical confinements
affect the curing behavior of polymers.  To understand how such
confinements affect curing properties, we undertook differential
scanning calorimetry (DSC) and infrared (IR) measurements on phenolic
resin physically confined in various pore sized (<125 nm) silica
particles at 323 K < T < 493 K.  Our DSC results indicated that the
curing reaction temperature of the phenolic was elevated due to
physical confinement.1  In fact, the curing temperature inversely
scaled with the decreasing pore size.  In addition, the curing
reaction enthalpy showed a local minimum with respect to the pore
size.  Our recent vibrational measurements not only supported our
observation that a nanoscale confinement increased the curing
temperature but also the confining surface may have a catalytic
effect on the curing behavior of phenolic.
1. S. Amanuel and V. M. Malhotra, J. Appl. Polymer Sci. 99, 3183 (2006).