[Sci-all-l] 6 things researchers need to know about Open Access

Flora Grabowska flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Tue Apr 25 09:52:27 EDT 2006

The newsletter below is long but the six things are up front, concise
and, in my view, important for scientists publishing their work.

Sometimes Open Access, OA, means publishing fees for authors but
there are 2 excellent venues for Vassar authors with no charges
because the library pays a small fee as part of the Oberlin Group.
Furthermore,  BMC and PLOS both automatically deposit to NIH's Pubmed
so NIH archiving is taken care of with no further author action.
Although new kids on the block these journals are achieving great
impact:

1, BioMed Central
http://www.biomedcentral.com/inst/gateway/

2. PLOS
http://www.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=index-html

Flora

FYI, 'knowing your options' is Point 1 of Suber's superb "Six things
researchers need to know about open access"
<http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/02-02-06.htm>.  As another
aside, I have pointed out this document to every faculty member I serve and
put a copy in their hands.

posted by A. Ben Wagner
Sciences Librarian
University at Buffalo
The State University of New York
--
Flora Grabowska, Science Librarian      phone 845 437 5788
Box 553
124 Raymond Ave,                        e-mail:flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0553
Vassar College Library Website: http://library.vassar.edu/vcl/index.html