[Sci-all-l] Contaminants identified in plastic lab equipment

Flora Grabowska flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Tue Nov 18 12:11:06 EST 2008

Published online 12 November 2008 | Nature 456, 152 (2008) |
doi:10.1038/456152c
News in Brief
Contaminants identified in plastic lab equipment

Thousands of scientists could be unwittingly ruining their
experiments merely by using standard plastic lab equipment, according
to a study published in Science. Andrew Holt of the University of
Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, found that a disinfectant and a
lubricant used in the manufacture of plastic pipette tips, tubes and
micro-plates could leach into common solvents, including water (G. R.
McDonald et al. Science 322, 917; 2008).
Holt and his team determined that the contaminants are potent enzyme
inhibitors, and skewed their drug-activity assays. "People in any big
science department will say that they don't trust plastic in some
experiments," says Holt. But the compounds responsible had never been
identified before, he adds. Eppendorf, a manufacturer of some of the
plastic products, says that "so far, we have not experienced any
product problems with our customers due to these substances".
--
Flora Grabowska, Science Librarian      phone 845 437 5788
Vassar College Box 553,                     fax   845 437 5864
124 Raymond Ave,                       email flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0553
Vassar College Libraries website: http://library.vassar.edu/vcl/index.html
Open Access Publishing website: