[Sci-all-l] Hudson Valley Science Cafe

Flora Grabowska flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Wed Dec 9 14:42:05 EST 2009

I've been going to these more frequently and the
last few have been very lively but I already have
other plans for Dec 16.  Chemists may receive
this twice, as I'm sending to Chemists present
and departed.  Flora

Hudson Valley Science Café
Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 7:00 PM

Have a sweet Holiday

Note-This is the 3rd Wednesday because of Christmas.

Topic: "The electronic tongue and Screening for Bitterness Inhibition".

Presenter: Glenn Roy, Ph.D., Research Fellow,
Ingredients Science and Technology, Pepsico
Global R&D, Valhalla, NY

A Science Cafe is a monthly gathering in a Cafe,
Pub or Restaurant, open to the public, with a
short presentation of a topic followed by
discussion. The essence of a Science Cafe is
informality, with groups seated around tables
with food and drink to encourage conversation.
 Hudson Valley Science Café usually meets on the
4th Wednesday of the month, except where noted.
 Website:
http://www.cafescientifique.org/hudsonvalley.htm

Meeting site: Diana's, 1015 Little Britain Road
(Route 207), New Windsor (just east of Stewart
Newburgh Airport, on the opposite side of the
road from the airport entrance). See
 http://www.DIANASNY.com for menus and map.

$3.00 admission fee includes coffee or tea. If
you arrive at 6 PM, you can order from the Early
Bird menu. No orders are taken during the
Presentation (7:00-7:30).

SAVE THESE DATES

There will be no Science Café in January, 2010

February 24: (Tentative title) "Traffic & Health"
Richard Peltier, Ph.D. Associate Research
Scientist, The Nelson Institute of Environmental
Medicine, NYU Langone School of Medicine, Tuxedo,
NY

March 24: "Diabetes: Don't be part of the
epidemic (and if you are already, good self-care
is the key)", Emily Evina-Ze, Registered
Dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator, Hudson
Valley Healthcare System (VA initiative to bring
care closer to veterans).

April 28 (Tentative title) "Gas wells and water
resources", Stephen Penningroth, Ph.D. Executive
Director, Community Science Institute, Ithaca.

Hudson Valley Science Café has received start-up
funds from WGBH-NOVA and The American Chemical
Society.
To suggest a speaker (yourself included), please
contact Dr. Toby Rossman (tobyrossman at yahoo.com)
--
Flora Grabowska, Science Librarian      phone 845 437 5788
Vassar College Box 553,                     fax   845 437 5864
124 Raymond Ave,                       email flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0553
Vassar College Libraries website: http://library.vassar.edu/vcl/index.html
Open Access Publishing website: