[Sci-all-l] Download Springer e-books/chapters until May 31 '09

Flora Grabowska flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Thu May 28 16:03:56 EDT 2009

A reminder to download Springer e-books and chapters before May 31.
My February notice:

I am happy to report that the library has arranged to trial Springer
e-books until April 30. (and extended for May)  The package is very
expensive so it would take a miracle for us to sign an annual
contract (we will not at this time) but I felt this a valuable
exercise:

a) to allow temporary access to 12,000 expensive Springer books
across the sciences.
b) to assess the utility/usability of e-books
c) to obtain data on what Springer book titles Vassar science faculty
and students are interested in.  Even though we can't afford a
licence we could order print copies of titles downloaded frequently.

My feeling is that there is something for everyone.

Go to the library home page to find SpringerLink in the databases
section under S.
If you search the entire SpringerLink some of the results will be
journal articles, some book chapters, some books etc.  Those items
with green icons are available, those with white are not unless we
have that item in print.  Some are green/white which means some
content is available for download some not.

I'll send another email towards the end of April to encourage you to
download while there's still time and to ask for your feedback.  I
should clarify that it is just the eBook content that is temporary.
SpringerLink will continue to offer some fulltext journal articles,
i.e. our subscriptions.

Flora
Flora Grabowska, Science Librarian      phone 845 437 5788
Vassar College Box 553,                     fax   845 437 5864
124 Raymond Ave,                       email flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0553
Vassar College Libraries website: http://library.vassar.edu/vcl/index.html
Open Access Publishing website: