[Sci-all-l] Fwd: [Sci-fac-l] meeting of science faculty

Joseph Tanski jotanski at vassar.edu
Thu Nov 12 08:40:21 EST 2009

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Joseph Tanski" <jotanski at vassar.edu>
To: sci-fac-all at lists.vassar.edu
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:39:37 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Fwd: [Sci-fac-l] meeting of science faculty

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Cindy Schwarz" <schwarz at vassar.edu>
To: sci-fac-l at lists.vassar.edu
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:03:34 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Sci-fac-l] meeting of science faculty

Due to many things going on on campus right now I think it is
important for the division III faculty (or as many of us who can make
it) come together for discussion. One of my main concerns is the
effect of the staffing cuts for next year on our majors. Our courses
(or lack of certain courses) affect the science/math students
disproportionately over the rest of the student body. We have already
heard from John McCleary about possible caps in linear algebra and
intro physics is also going to have caps next year. What else is going
on?

Beside curriculum, I think we should address the growing faculty
sentiment that perhaps its not the right time to move forward with new
facilities in the light of economics and even though the project is in
a holding pattern (according to Marianne Begemann) - there are
questions being raised....

Also all of our equipment budgets have gone down and I do not think
the administration realizes the long term effects.....

And how is our research being supported - we need more funding but we
tend to bring in more grant money....

anyway these are just my thoughts about starting discussion but I of
course welcome other topics and ideas.

Rather than try to find a time, I am just going to pick a time friday
December 4 from 2 - 4 pm in the Sanders Physics Lounge.

Please let me know if you can come, cant come but would have liked to
come or dont think this is a good idea.

Please respond no matter what as I have no idea who is on this list. I
hope we can at least get a few representatives from each department

CIndy

p.s. we can try to pool money perhaps for refreshments......chairs
please weigh in on this request....shouldnt be alot

--
Joseph M. Tanski
Associate Professor of Chemistry

Department of Chemistry