[Sci-all-l] Resignation Announcement

Mary DeJong madejong at vassar.edu
Wed Mar 27 11:42:30 EDT 2013

Science Faculty,

I wanted to let everyone know that yesterday I submitted my resignation
from the position of Research Librarian for the Sciences. My last day will
be May 10, 2013. I have accepted a position as a librarian at Northern
Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona.

The decision to leave Vassar has been exceedingly difficult. I have been
very happy here and found my job to be fulfilling and rewarding. I have
enjoyed working with all of my colleagues in the library and have
especially valued working with my boss, Deb Bucher, whose management style
has just the right mix of guidance, moral support, humanity, and humor. I
have never had a job where I felt I had so much opportunity to explore, be
creative, and excel in my professional life -- and I attribute that to Deb,
Sabrina, and everyone else here in the library and in the Vassar community.

I would like to explain why I have chosen to leave. Over the last 15 years,
my partner Ian and I have spent most of our vacations in Arizona because we
enjoy the animals, plants, geology, and climate there. Before coming to
Vassar, I applied for several jobs in Arizona but was unsuccessful. When I
got the position at Vassar I was thrilled and I decided to give up plans to
move permanently to Arizona. I felt that Poughkeepsie would offer me the
rural setting I longed for with the added advantage of keeping me close to
friends in New York City. Nevertheless, last November a friend forwarded a
couple of advertisements for vacant academic librarian positions in
Arizona, and after a long discussion with Ian, I decided to apply.

I am not leaving my current position because I am in any way dissatisfied
or unhappy here at Vassar – in fact, nothing could be further from the
truth. If I could transplant my Vassar colleagues out to Arizona, that
would be my first choice. In fact, my choice to move to Arizona is not
related to my professional career -- it is about the personal fulfillment
that Ian and I seek in our free time.

Best,

-Mary
Mary DeJong