[Unix-l] Fwd: [mhvlug-announce] [ANNOUNCE] Install Fest V - This Saturday!

Eric Myers myers at noether.vassar.edu
Wed Dec 8 09:18:33 EST 2004

Re-posted from MHVLUG mailing list: -EAM

On Dec 8 2004,  9:06, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

  MHVLUG is proud to announce our 5th Install Fest!  It will be held this
  Saturday from 10am - 5pm at SUNY New Paltz in the Coykendall Science
  Building(CSB) 1st Floor Lounge.  For more information and directions to get
  there please see: http://mhvlug.org/install/index.shtml

  * What is this all about? *

  An install fest is an opportunity to get hands on help in installing and/or
  configuring Linux on your computer.  Unlike the monthly meetings where you
  can only talk about your Linux issues, at the install fest you can *bring
  those problems* to your peers and show them what is going on.  We've had
  great success over the years in fixing the vast majority of issues that
  we've been presented with.

  It is also about getting to know your peers in the Linux Users Group, and
  being able to share expertise and knowledge in a very informal environment.

  * What should I bring? *

  If you want help with your computer, you should bring that, monitor,
  keyboard, and all.

  If you need copies of Linux CDs, those will be provided at a nominal charge
  ($2 / CD), which will help offset mhvlug.org hosting costs.  Modern copies
  of Major distributions will be available.

  A number of Linux Books will be brought to the install fest as well.  People
  are welcome to read through them during the install fest, and even borrow
  some of them if they promise to write reviews! :)

  Snacks.  I'll put out a separate "Call For Snacks" using our test wiki.
  That will help coordinate this.

  * Call for Webmiesters *

  As I announced at the last meeting, there is a new test Wiki that is up and
  running on mhvlug.org that will make it a lot easier for anyone that is
  willing and able to contribute content to the mhvlug website (be that link
  pages, personal experiences with Linux, howtos, book reviews, or anything
  else.)  If you are interested in this we'll plan to take some time in the
  early afternoon at the install fest to plan out migrating to the new site,
  and dividing up work for it.

  * After the Meeting *

  Post Install Fest, all that are interested are invited to join us at the
  Guilded Otter in New Paltz (a local brew pub) for dinner and drinks.

  I'm also going to call this an informal leadership meeting.  We've been
  going strong for almost 2 years now, and I'd like to get feedback, comments,
  and volunteers to help with what we've done well, what we could do better
  with, and what new things we should do.  MHVLUG is about as democratic and
  non-hierarchical a group as they get, so *anyone* that has an opinion is
  encouraged to come and share that.

  Hope to see you all there on Saturday!

  	-Sean