[Unix-l] ssh keepalive

Eric Myers myers at noether.vassar.edu
Thu May 27 10:25:10 EDT 2004

I recently noticed that open shell windows connected via ssh from off
campus to machines on campus would freeze after a little while (under
an hour).  David Sussman suggested that it was due to changes in the
campus firewall which drop long lived TCP/IP connections.

I have found a workaround for this by telling sshd to send keepalive
messages every 5 minutes.    In the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config I added
the line

  ClientAliveInterval 300

and restarted the daemon and the problem seems to have gone away.

(It still would be nice if the firewall would not drop valid TCP
connections...)

		- Eric Myers