[Unix-l] secure IMAP using Pine

Dave Calafrancesco dcalaf at vassar.edu
Fri Apr 15 18:05:14 EDT 2005

Eric Myers said:

> Unfortunatly our outbound e-mial server does not seem to understand
> encryption yet, so to send e-mail you then have to turn encryption off.
> To do so change the configuration item "smtp-server" to read
> "smtp.vassar.edu/notls" (TLS is a newer name for SSL).

Actually the smtp system has been using tls for going on two years. We
have more recently configured the system to respond on the old deprecated
ssmtp port 465 so that those who have port 25 blocked by their ISPs can
access our mail system remotely. That was enabled when the local ISPs
changed their configurations to block outgoing smtp outside of their local
networks.

As always, we only accept email for relay if you are on campus, have
recently accessed your email account via pop or imap or you are using
authenticated smtp (with or without tls).

If there is a configuration issue with smtp and tls that causes pine to
not work, please let the helpdesk know so they can try to assist. For
other clients, simply selecting the use TLS option seems to generally be
the only required configuration.

--
David Calafrancesco
Vassar College SysAdmin