[Vcfilmmakers-l] 2 projects

Kyle Porter kyporter at vassar.edu
Mon Dec 28 17:06:40 EST 2009

Hi All,

Hope your breaks are going well. Two projects to think about working on:

ONE:
Brian Farkas, the VSA Vice President for Operations and co-chair of the Senior Class Gift, is looking for people to help make a video to support fundraising efforts for the senior class gift. The gift is Vassar's first student-generated endowment to support financial aid.

He states:
As one fundraising tool, I was thinking about doing a short, funny video
showing people who gave to the gift dancing along to some music. My
inspiration was this video from this YouTube Video for breast cancer
awareness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEdVfyt-mLw

I was wondering if this might be a project the Filmmakers might be
able/willing to help with. I'm not sure exactly how long it would take to
produce something like this, but my hope would be to have it created within
2-4 weeks after getting back from Break, so that we could really get the
video viral during our fundraising months.

If interested, please email brfarkas at vassar.edu (and cc me - kyporter at vassar.edu - on the email if you remember).

TWO:
A message from Nat Allister:

hello all you handsome bastards,
i hope you're having lovely holiday seasons. i hope you're watching some great movies. and most importantly, i hope you're itching to get back to vassar and start working on your own movies.

why? because i have recently downsized my classes to a fantastic 3.5 credits so i can devote all my time this Spring to producing and directing a script i wrote this fall, "Rip Dreams." but to make this movie a reality, i'm going to need some help.

some of you may have read an older draft of this script in a table reading at the last Filmmaker's meeting. our hero is Rip Van Winkle and the movie is about a dream he has during his 20-year sleep, featuring Huck Finn, Jack Kerouac, Natty Bumppo, and a strange, unseen monster that comes from the East. it's an absurdist/surrealist comedy that (hopefully) raises some serious questions about American society and a certain tendency of our literary heroes to want to get the hell OUT of it.

attached you will find the script. it will run roughly 15 minutes and be shot mostly in the woods around Poughkeepsie (except for one trip to NYC and one trip to a period reenactment museum an hour away). the shoots will almost always be just once a week, almost always saturday or sunday.

FOR PRE-PRODUCTION (the first two weeks or so of the semester), i need help BUILDING THE RAFT. this is gonna need to float with four people on it, so i can't cut corners here. a real goddam raft.

i'm also looking for a COSTUME DESIGNER.

FOR PRODUCTION, i need a CINEMATOGRAPHER, SOUND MIXER, BOOM OPERATOR, MAKE-UP ARTIST, and as many PAs as i can get. i'm not opposed to getting a position filled by multiple people who can only do some of the shoots.

this project should be a lot of fun, and a great opportunity to learn about how to work on a set, namely a digital narrative one, which Film majors do not get an opportunity to do at Vassar. and the good news is, my grandma just had a windfall and decided to give it all to her grandkids, so this film actually has a decent budget. this means that anyone working on the set gets lots of free coffee and donuts and pizza lunches (and my undying gratitude, if that's worth anything).

if interested in working in ANY ASPECT of production (or pre-), or AUDITIONING FOR ACTING PARTS, e-mail me at naallister at vassar.edu and we'll talk some shop.

stay warm VC Filmmakers,
nat

LASTLY:
Don't forget about the senior projects being filmed next semester as well - all us seniors are going to need a lot of help. But if you'd rather try to make your own film next semester - please go for it. (Or work on a senior film or Nat's film while making your own film - I did it my sophomore year, Tim and Eric did it last year.) And feel free to email any ideas or scripts you are working on over the break to me or any of the other board members. We'll get back to you with comments as soon as we possibly can.

Just as a reminder of our emails:
Me = kyporter at vassar.edu
Jon = jonmiller at vassar.edu
Grace = lestatwick at vassar.edu
Mike = micwood at vassar.edu
Tim = tioconnor at vassar.edu
Eric = erschuman at vassar.edu
Alex = allevy at vassar.edu

Anyway, I hope you all fall madly in love over the holidays...well, not really since most people tend to become extremely unproductive when they're in love...so try not to fall in love over the break so that you'll have an extremely productive next semester,
Kyle

PS - I'm working on getting us speakers and I'm continuing to work on a script I wrote last semester that'll be filmed over the summer - I'll keep ya'll updated on both.