[Vcfilmmakers-l] 21st Century Fit TOMORROW + Meeting Notes

Kyle Porter kyporter at vassar.edu
Thu Oct 15 02:35:33 EDT 2009

Yo All,

TOMORROW in the SHIVA from 8-9PM Vassar Filmmakers is helping throw a screening/performance of sorts entitled 21ST CENTURY FIT. I've attached the posters for your viewing pleasure. Tim O'Connor states: "There will be videos playing, several of them at once. There will also be music. It will be loud. Earplugs will be provided." Come to the "performance" to see dead animals being revived and kids with gorilla masks educating you, among many other odd things. (I'll be there playing bass and acting as "Sound Supervisor," whatever that means.)

We will NOT be having a MEETING this Friday. Use the break to brainstorm ideas as it would be nice to get a couple other projects shooting this semester. If you've never shot anything yet at college, I would highly recommend you try to shoot something this semester to get used to the equipment and the weirdness of film sets. Please know that your first forays into filmmaking will likely not be masterpieces (you all saw my first film here if you went to the last meeting). However, the more that you shoot, the better you will get at it.

CAPITAL BUDGETING was voted on and we will be getting the SECOND SOUND KIT, the CAMERA ADAPTER, and a 50MM LENS! Thanks to Mike Wood, these items have already been ordered and so we will hopefully have them by the next meeting!

Meeting Notes 10/9/09:

We read the script for and looked at the first scene from "The Dark Knight" - if you want to read the full script just goggle it.

Vassar has access to a SCRIPT DATABASE: go to the Library Website, click on Databases, and then go to the Film Department. From there click on American Film Scripts Online.

Overview of CELTX screenwriting program:
-Free and easy to use program!
-Properly formats your script with the click of a button!
-Helps you storyboard!
-You can also use it to send things to other people!

WEBSITE:
We now have a Vimeo account
There will be a tutorial about how to compress Final Cut video files next meeting
After compressing, to UPLOAD films:
Log-in as vfilmmakers at gmail.com
Password = “vfilms”
Right now we can only upload 500MB a week, though we'll hopefully soon upgrade to a PRO account so we can upload larger/more files

Email Kyle once you’ve uploaded your film and Alex will take it from there
Another option: if you have a compressed file, you can give it to us, and we’ll upload it for you
We have an EXTERNAL HARD-DRIVE, and we can all upload our videos there

MERCH:
Shotglass designs were voted on and the winners are:
Audrey Hepburn
Alex from Clockwork Orange
Edward Scissorhands

NEW PROJECT:
Alex Levy is going to be doing a SHORT FILM after October Break and is looking for help. If you’re interested, email him at allevy at vassar.edu. This will likely be a great first opportunity to get acquainted with the CAMERA ADAPTER as Alex owns one himself and can teach you all the tricks of using it in order to make your films look 10X better.

Soon to be moody groovin',
Kyle