[Vassarfilmmakers-l] Some food for holiday thought...

Grace Statwick lestatwick at vassar.edu
Fri Dec 24 13:26:23 EST 2010

Happy Winter Break, Filmmakers!

While you're at home, comfortable, warm, well-fed....now is a fantastic time to be dreaming up projects for the future. And, if you want inspiration, a friend of a friend is offering two short screenplays he's written to spark interest. The pitches are included below -- if you're interested in looking at these scripts and possibly filming them next semester, or if you have any questions, contact David at davidrberezin at gmail.com.

We are starting a short script database next semester full of open submissions that anyone could direct. I have two short screenplays I'll post. I know you Juniors had a lot of ideas in Dramatic Writing and Filmmaking that didn't get produced. We've talked about this, let's do it!

Also: if you're entirely at a loss for film ideas, sometimes idly clicking online is actually useful...these sites have tiny stories (that are often really depressing) but also spark the imagination...

http://newsoftheweird.blogspot.com/
(My favorite: "An Allentown man was arrested Thursday night for allegedly kidnapping a woman and forcing her to drive him around and buy him clothes." Also: "Eleven people were injured when they jumped out of a second-storey window near Paris early on Saturday, thinking a naked man tending his crying baby in the night was the devil.")

http://www.postsecret.com/
http://www.tinystories.com/

Have fun, and happy holidays.
grace

_______________________________________

The following are ideas for a potential short film.

Superhuman (5-10 minutes)

A college student becomes a campus oddity when he dresses up like a
superhero.

Steve—a college student—walks around in tights, a cape, and a luchador
mask, claiming to be a superhero called Mr. Mysterious. Jan—a student
reporter—is sent to interview Steve and develops a close bond to him.
But when Steve discovers that Jan is being abused by her boyfriend, he
must rise up and become the hero that he pretends to be.

Modern Prom (5-10 minutes)

A pregnant girl and a lesbian go to prom together.

A pregnant girl and a lesbian, ostracized by their fellow students, go
to their senior prom together. Though they start out as friends, Chloe
(the lesbian) develops feelings for Courtney (the pregnant girl). But
Courtney is still in love with her unborn baby’s father, and Chloe must
decide whether to bring them back together or pursue her love for
Courtney.

Again, anybody who's interested in either idea - or who has any questions -
should e-mail David at davidrberezin at gmail.com.