[Vcfilmmakers-l] SCREENWRITING WEEK with Writer/Director Nicholas Meyer

Kyle Porter kyporter at vassar.edu
Tue Feb 2 02:01:23 EST 2010

Hi All,

FIRST, I'd just like to thank all of you that came to Woodrow's Workshops last Friday and Saturday - the turnout was better than I had hoped for and I believe that everyone who attended the lectures came away with a new-found understanding of the way the film & television industry actually operates. I'll also never view background (aka extras) the same way ever again and have begun to fixate on how good of a job the 2nd 2nd AD did whenever I've watched anything since Saturday. And remember that Woodrow would love if you emailed him with any questions at woodrow.travers at gmail.com.

SECOND, you have entered into SCREENWRITING WEEK. Screenwriter & Director NICHOLAS MEYER will be here on Saturday to do a lecture and Q&A and Film Professor JAMES STEERMAN will be doing a screenwriting workshop on Friday. (We've run into some issues with the Film Department & Campus Activities, so there is a slight possibility that the location might change for the two screenings.) Anyway, here's what's going on this week:

Wednesday, February 3rd at 5PM
Drama & Film's Rosenwald Theater
Screening of ELEGY
(Nicholas adapted the screenplay from the Philip Roth novel "The Dying Animal")

Friday, February 5th at 4PM
Drama & Film Room TBD
Screenwriting Workshop with Professor Steerman
(This is Professor Steerman's last semester here before he retires, so please come to hear his valuable advice before he's outta here)

Saturday, February 5th at 2:30PM
Drama & Film's Rosenwald Theater
Screening of STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
(Nicholas was the writer & director of this cult classic)

Saturday, February 6th at 5PM
Drama & Film's Rosenwald Theater
Screenwriter & Director NICHOLAS MEYER will be HERE to discuss screenwriting, directing, the film industry, and whatever else you might want to know. We will also be screening specific clips from Elegy and Star Trek II and he will detail exactly why he wrote(/directed) the scenes as he did. Also, if you don't get a chance to ask him your question while in the Rosenwald, we will be having a reception for him following the lecture/Q&A, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to assault him with geek-love if you're a trekkie (or more general love if you're just a simple cinephile).

AND THIRD, Cassie and Alex are shooting a short in the coming weeks and state:
In addition to casting actors we're looking for some crew members. Here's what we need:
-someone to work on sound
-a PA (anyone who just wants to be involved in all aspects of the filming)
-an editor who will be able to work with us in post
If you're at all interested in any of those positions or just want to know more about the script and what's going on in pre-production, shoot either of us an e-mail anytime.
Thanks!
Cassie and Alex
(cagomes at vassar.edu & alsarrigeorgiou at vassar.edu)