[Vcfilmmakers-l] Workshop & Meeting Fri, Projects Needing People, & Upcoming Events List

Kyle Porter kyporter at vassar.edu
Tue Jan 19 02:50:09 EST 2010

Hi All,

We're having a workshop this FRIDAY AT 4PM, read on if you're interested. Also, there various FILM SHOOTS BELOW if you want to get involved. A tentative EVENT SCHEDULE is included near the bottom of the email.

1. WORKSHOP THIS FRIDAY (feedback desired):
This Friday we're going to have a workshop during which we'll go through the process of shooting a brief scene. We are doing this so that people can get accustomed to using the camera and sound equipment, and also so that you can go through the process of shooting a scene without just getting mindless coverage from every angle. Ideally we will have 2 groups shooting the scenes, though we could also do a third group if enough people are interested. It should last about 2 hours and will be held at the NEW MEETING TIME of 4PM.

LET ME KNOW if you're interested in taking part in this activity and, if so, what you would be interested in doing (directing, cinematography, sound). We will also need people to edit these scenes, so let me know if you would be interested in editing the scene in addition to or instead of being involved in the production this Friday.

2. WOODROW TRAVERS DAY OF WORKSHOPS:
Woodrow Travers, one of the founders of the Filmmakers and a current Assistant Director trainee with the Directors' Guild of America is willing to come up to Vassar to do a series of workshops about things that he has learned while working in the industry (most recently he was the Assistant to the Assistant Director on the first season of NBC's show Mercy). More to come on this very, very soon.

3. NEW MEETING TIME:
I got a few emails from people saying that Fridays at 6PM are not good for them. Therefore, we're going to switch meetings to FRIDAYS AT 4PM - let me know asap if this is a WORSE TIME for you.

[Unimportant reasoning behind change: I really would rather not change meetings from being on Fridays unless I get a lot of feedback that Wednesdays would be better. Frankly, Fridays mark the beginning of the weekend and thus the beginning of most peoples' shooting availability so I think that Friday meetings make the most sense. In terms of other days, there are various Film Department screenings Mon, Tues, and Thurs nights and Sat and Sun are prime days for shooting. Thus, meetings are either going to be Fridays or Wednesdays and I won't be switching them to Wednesdays unless I get at least 10 emails from different people requesting we switch meetings to Wednesdays. Keep in mind though that Wednesday nights would likely conflict with other clubs' meetings and probably with rehearsal times for plays as well. Also, I've already scheduled many of our upcoming events for Fridays already.]

4. SENIOR PROJECTS:
STILL NEED PEOPLE, esp. David Viste (daviste at vassar.edu) and Dan Savage (dasavage at vassar.edu). Spencer Richards (sprichards at vassar.edu) and Marielle Sider (masider at vassar.edu) could also use more people, but don't need them as badly as the other two crews. If you are interested, please email the director or email me back asking for more information about each film.

5. ALEX LEVY'S PROJECT:
PRODUCTION ASSISTANTS NEEDED! He states:

Hello all!  This is Alex (www.alexrlevy.com), the web guy on the Filmmakers exec board.  Over the next two weeks I am going into production on a short film -- you can view the teaser trailer here: www.alexrlevy.com/film/tremolo/teaser.mov -- and I'm looking for a few people to help out as production assistants.  It's a pretty short commitment, so if you think you're free anytime over the next two weeks and are interested in helping out on a film, I'd love to have you!  If you are interested, shoot me an e-mail -- allevy at vassar.edu -- and I'll send you the schedule and script.  I'm not positive, but there should be food at some of the shoots, so if that is any sort of incentive for you, sign on!  Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing from you.

6. UPCOMING EVENTS:
Here's the current list of tentative dates we have for speakers and events:

Fri, Jan 22nd - Shooting short scenes workshop

Fri, Jan 29th - Alex Levy crowd scene during a Filmmakers' meeting

Fri, Jan 29th & Sat, Jan 30th - Woodrow Travers Workshops

Fri, Feb 5th OR Fri, Feb 12th (momentarily unsure of date) - Steerman Screenwriting workshop

Sat, Feb 13th - Nicholas Meyer (Screenwriter)

Wed, Feb 24th - Kelly Reichardt

Fri, Feb 26th - Jaia Thomas, Entertainment Lawyer

Fri, April 16th & Sat, April 17th - Lou Sabini, Film Historian

LASTLY:
This Friday at 4PM we will have an extremely brief meeting in Rocky 312 and will then do the above-mentioned workshop. Let me know asap if you want to get involved with the workshop.

Till the break of dawn,
Kyle