[Vassarfilmmakers] WORK ON SENIOR FILMS

Timothy O'Connor tioconnor at vassar.edu
Sun Dec 18 12:44:36 EST 2011

Hey film-friends, one last e-mail before we go our separate ways:

As many of you know, the senior films for next semester have been chosen, and pre-production is under way. We need your help to make these things happen! Here's a summary of the films, along with comments from their directors:

THROUGH A DOORWAY (working title)
DIR: Cassie Gomes ( cagomes at vassar.edu )
Sisters Erica and Taryn are home alone when Andrew, Taryn's love interest comes over. Erica sees something happening between the two that she can't quite comprehend and takes a stand against Andrew.

Anybody willing to help will have opportunities to do many different things: we need an Assistant Camera, a boom operator, script supervisor and Assistant Director.

FROZEN
DIR: Patty Cruz ( pacruz at vassar.edu )
Ray (45) and his daughter Rosie (17) pick up Grandpa Rick (68) at the train station. On their way to Rosie's music recital, the car breaks down in a solitary road, where they are forced to stick together over night, during a storm, and confront their underlying issues.

Shooting locations will be very varied for this one. We're gonna be filming inside a car, by a road, inside an abandoned store (anyone interested in set design, this can be a good chance to experiment!); also different times of day: afternoon, sunset, night (which will be interesting to see how we approach each), maybe dawn.
Boom operators, general PAs, and ADs would be great.

A GUY WALKS INTO A BAR
DIR: Esra Aral ( esaral at vassar.edu )
"A Guy Walks Into A Bar" tells the story of a suicidal bar owner who is held at gunpoint by a young kid on the night he decides to kill himself.

The film takes place in a single location which will be close to campus, and we will mostly be shooting on the weekends. (You don't have to commit to all the shoots, but the more days you can commit the better.) You can contact me (esaral at vassar.edu) or Amanda (ammessenger at vassar.edu) if you're interested!

SIDEKICK
DIR: Sasha Stadler ( sastadler at vassar.edu )
A reporter interviews an ex-sidekick of the city's greatest hero.

As I've mentioned before, I can't recommend getting on a set enough. It was one of the best learning experience I've had at Vassar, and helped me enormously once junior year rolled around and serious production got underway. Contact any (or all) of the directors above if you're interested or have any questions!

There's other projects a-stirring for next semester too, but more on those a little later down the road. Hope the winter treats everybody well, and let's all go broke seeing this onslaught of great-looking movies being released all at once.

-Tim