[Vassarfilmmakers-l] Some info!

Grace Statwick lestatwick at vassar.edu
Mon Jan 31 10:34:28 EST 2011

Hey everybody--
Hope you enjoyed filming this weekend, those of you who did the 12-hour. Just a reminder: bring your edited films to next Friday's meeting on a flashdrive.

Below are blurbs from Erik Lorenzsonn (who spoke on Friday, from the Misc) and Barbara Olsen (regarding a documentary coming this Wednesday which looks pretty neat).

grace
_____________________________________

Hey guys! I'm looking for people interested in working on documentary shorts for The Miscellany News' website. Below are the kinds of projects that would be great for the site; by all means, I am looking for other ideas for content! Let me know if you have an idea.

-Behind the scenes of campus events. For example, the next big Drama Department play or the Sesqui-themed Founder's Day.

-Profiles of people and orgs. For example, a documentary on VRDT leading up to their big Bardavon Gala. Or Karen Murley, the retiring Art History professor who specializes in American Indian artwork.

-Complements to other Misc articles. For example, when someone writes a cooking column we could film them recreating the dish and explaining how to do it.

Let me know if you are interested in getting involved! ALSO there are other ways you can get involved! I'm currently looking for an Online assistant editor, and also people interested in blogging about film, theater, dances, literature, sports and student life in general on campus. If any of these sound up your alley, contact me at erlorenzsonn at vassar.edu!

*************************************

Learn about the exploitative industry behind YOUR CHOCOLATE BAR!

The Departments and Programs in Economics, Greek and Roman Studies, Africana Studies, Film, International Studies, Media Studies, and Women’s Studies invite you to a

Discussion and Screening of the Provocative and Ground-Breaking New Film

The Dark Side of Chocolate
with Director U. Roberto Romano

Wednesday, February 2nd, 5:30 pm
Rosenwald Film Theater,
Center for Drama and Film

Come join us for a special screening of this controversial new documentary, an exposé of continuing child trafficking and slavery in the international cocoa industry. Shot with hidden camera footage in Mali, the Ivory Coast, and outside the corporate headquarters of Nestlé in Vevey, Switzerland, The Dark Side of Chocolate raises profound and troubling questions about globalization, economic competition, human rights, and colonialism in the trade and production of one of the most widely traded agricultural products in the world – chocolate.

Now, ten years after consumers around the world were first outraged to discover that child labor and trafficking existed on cocoa farms in the Ivory Coast – and chocolate companies, concerned governments, and NGOs spent millions of dollars in an effort to eradicate it -- The Dark Side of Chocolate asks the chilling question: Has anything changed?