[Wism-l] Women's Acceptance in Physics and Astronomy - Meg Urry in the Washington Post

Flora Grabowska flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Mon Feb 7 11:51:42 EST 2005

I'm passing this on without having read beyond the paragraph below
but it does sound interesting.

Flora

A very interesting article by astronomer Meg Urry appeared in
yesterday's Outlook Section of the Washington Post.

  Brenda

Diminished By Discrimination We Scarcely See

By Meg Urry
Sunday, February 6, 2005; Page B04

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A360-2005Feb5.html

I came of age when discrimination was a thing of the past, or so I thought.
True, there were not many women in my college physics classes, but I figured
that was just a matter of time. And although we had all heard horror stories
about women being excluded because they were women, those predated the
feminist movement of the '60s and the anti-discrimination legislation of the
'70s. None of my peers or professors in the early '80s would ever have said
out loud, "Women can't do physics as well as men" even though some think it
and Harvard University President Larry Summers suggested as much last month.

Article continues...

  Brenda G. Corbin, Librarian           Phone: 202/762-1463
  U. S. Naval Observatory               Fax: 202/762-1083
  3450 Massachusetts Ave., N.W.
  Washington, D.C.  20392-5420          e-mail:corbin.brenda at usno.navy.mil

  USNO Library Home Page:  http://www.usno.navy.mil/library/
  Direct link to online catalog:  http://moon.usno.navy.mil/urania.htm
--
Flora Grabowska, Science Librarian      phone 845 437 5788
Box 553
124 Raymond Ave,                        e-mail:flgrabowska at vassar.edu
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0553
Vassar College Library Website: http://library.vassar.edu/vcl/index.html