[Aikido] Very Important for the Tournament!

Sean Flynn flynn at vassar.edu
Mon Mar 1 01:27:12 EST 2004

Dear Everybody,

   First, I would like to thank David for the excellent leadership and
initiative that he's shown the last few weeks in making preparations for
the tournament.  Similarly for Kate and others who've been putting a lot of
time into the planning.  Plaudits to each of you.

   But let me just say a few things that I must demand of each of you on
this trip.

   1) Absolutely NO ALCHOHOL (or drugs!) at Sensei Steven's place.  His
father died of alcoholism and the stuff is simply not allowed in his
house.  If you want to get smashed after the tournament, you can get a
hotel room in Columbus and we'll pick you up on the way home.

   2) This is a friendly event.  The competition will be fierce, and
occasionally you will see others engaging in poor sportsmanship.  I will
not tolerate it.  Part of studying the martial arts is to learn self
control.  The point of rules of etiquette is that they force you to
constantly think of others instead of yourself.  Thinking of others is easy
in daily life.  It is much harder when under pressure and stress.  But if
you can learn to behave well on the mats when feeling extreme pressure, you
will have gone a long way to improving your own character and ensuring that
in daily life for the rest of your lives you will be kind, courteous, and
gentle.  You are unlikely to ever get into a fight.  But if you learn this
skill, the skill of constant courtesy, you will be very well repaid for
your training.

   3) Make friends.  Aikido tends to attract very smart, kind people.  Get
to know as many of them as possible.

   4) Sensei Stevens owns a huge amount of EXTREMELY expensive glass
sculptures.  No playing grab ass in his house.  You can't afford to replace
the things.

   5) If Sensei Stevens brings out his 700 year old samurai sword, do not
touch the metal parts with your hands.  Hold the handle of the sword, and
use a tissue or a cloth to touch the blade.  (He is very particular about
his sword, which truly is priceless.)

   OK.  'Nuff said.  We're going to have a wonderful time.

Your sensei who is very proud of each of you and the great club that you are,

Sean

Aikido tends to attract very intelligent, kind people.At 12:35 AM 3/1/2004

Yours truly,

Sean Flynn
Assistant Professor of Economics
Vassar College