[Aikido] break, I wont grow up day, and more

Eric Snyder ersnyder at vassar.edu
Tue Mar 6 23:57:15 EST 2007

Aikidoka,

4 things

1.) I received a message about "I wont grow up day" suggesting that we offer
introductory Aikido lessons for the children. Unfortunately this is during
the Saratoga martial arts festival and so many of our high ranks will be out
of town. If you feel confident teaching and would like to take on the
responsibility of doing such an event, please feel free to read the message
below and respond directly to Elisabeth Heller.

2) I will be here for the first Saturday and Sunday of break (10th and 11th)
and will be holding practice if the fitness center is open. I will likely
also be here for the last Sunday (25th). If anyone would like to hold
practice during break you are more than welcome. Please check the hours for
the fitness center and email the club with when you would like to practice.

3) Still room for the Saratoga martial arts fest. The deadline is during
break so I need to know before this weekend if you would like any help or
input from me about putting in your registration. It is an awesome event.
Email me if you would like more info.

4) We hope to start Sunday daytime practices to focus on randori and perhaps
bring up Manny Vargas, an amazing randori player and multiple national
champion. Unfortunately all rooms and bays of the fitness center are booked
for the next 4-5 weeks so I will be in touch more about this as soon as I
can secure a specific time and location.

Thanks for reading,

Eric

Hi!

I'm Elizabeth Heller, the VSA org exec for Together Opposing Neglect and
Child Abuse (TONCA). We are preparing for I Won't Grow Up Day and were
hoping that the Aikido Club would help us out by giving free lessons to the
kids. This would require you providing the supplies you need (if you need
help, let us know), and finding volunteers from your org to teach and watch
over the kids (one or two for the lesson[s]) plus set-up and clean-up before
and after, if necessary. This year, I Won't Grow Up Day is being held in the
College Center on March 31st, from 12pm to 4pm.

I Won't Grow Up Day is incredibly fun and a great chance to work with kids,
help foster a community at Vassar (the event is open to the Vassar and the
Poughkeepsie communities) and get a chance to be a kid again. Although all
events are free, we do collect donations for the Child Abuse Prevention
Center. If your org is interested in donating money on top of volunteering,
please contact our treasurer Wendy Leung (weleung).

Please let me know as soon as possible if you will commit to providing
aikido lessons during the event. Thanks so much!

Regards,
Elizabeth