[Aikido] Re: Elections have officially started

Leon Pinheiro lepinheiro at vassar.edu
Sun Apr 19 11:28:03 EDT 2009

Hey  everyone,
The constitution requires a "neutral" third party to determine elections. I asked my roommate Dan Salton who also happens to be part of the judiciary committee and is running for Chairmen of the Judiciary committee to judge our elections. Although the positions are uncontested, we must still hold election because our constitutions dictates it. Think of it as a vote of confidence. Here are the rules:

Processes for Election, Impeachment, and Removal of Officers

Any member of the VAC can nominate themselves or other club members for election to any officer position listed above, subject to the following restriction: Nominees must have been attending aikido practices regularly for at least one term. Elections will be held at the end of every spring term. All members of the club will be notified by email when elections will take place and voting will take place within a week of the initial nominations.  No person may hold more than one officer position.

At least 2/3 of the general body must vote in order for it to be official. The voting will take place via email to be sent to and counted by a neutral third party approved by consensus of the general body. A candidate must have more than 50% of the vote to win and a candidate running unopposed must have over 2/3 of the votes to win.

In the event of a tie, the officers reserve the right to make a decision (via group meeting). In the event that an officer resigns or leaves before the end of the spring semester, a vote to fill that officer position will be held, at which time the President will notify the members of VAC and organize said election.

If an officer is not meeting his/her duties, an officer meeting will be held to discuss the problem and every effort will be made to fix the situation. He/she also be given the choice to resign, if he/she so chooses. If however, the situation cannot be rectified, there will be a general vote by the club to remove the officer from his/her position. 2/3 of the club must vote in favor of the removal of an officer before it is to take effect.

If you do not like the rules, send a petition in to change the rules as dictated by the constitution. Please vote asap and e-mail (dasalton at vassar.edu).
The header should be: 2009 Aikido exec-board elections.

Here are the nomination for Fall 2009-Spring 2010 (so far):
For President:
Jeff Stickles

For Treasurer:
Alan Kenney

For Vice-President:
None(free for all:vote yourself in)

For secretary:
Peter Grauman

Public Relations Officer:
free for all

Event Coordinator:
Free for all

Public Relations Officer:

	The chief duties of the public relations officer are to organize publicity, create advertisements for events, and assign members to the distribution of advertisements. In addition, the public relations officer is the head of ideas for recruitment of new members and for relations with the Vassar and Poughkeepsie communities.

Event Coordinator:

	The chief duties of the event coordinator are to aid the president and vice-president in the physical running of events, as well as the logistical preparations, such as scheduling and locations for events. Furthermore, the event coordinator is expected to meet with potential speakers and guests.

Sincerely,
Leon.