[Aikido] Re: Spring Semester plans

Leon Pinheiro lepinheiro at vassar.edu
Sat Jan 24 22:02:33 EST 2009

Hey Everyone,

Here is what we have planned for YOU this semester:
1. Saratoga Martial Arts Festival (Saturday, February 28 and Sunday, March 1)
2. April 3-5 Aikido demonstration for Parents weekend.
3. Aikido demonstration for cherry blossom festival.
4. Vassar Mixed Martial Arts Seminar (April 11 (But I could change it to April 18 or 25))
5. May at the mojo (May 1,2,3)
6. Possibly going to see John Cameron or something along those lines.

Other possible events:
Josselyn study break (another demo/recruiting event)
ELECTION at the end of the semester

Saratoga Martial Arts Festival(Saturday, February 28 and Sunday, March 1) :
I highly recommend going to this festival if you want to get vast exposure to different styles. It is a great learning experience. Here is a link to the website:http://www.saratogafestival.com/

If you do plan on going, contact Emily (emmoog at vassar.edu) by FEBURARY 8. We will probably be going for one day because it will be too tiring driving back and forth. However, if you want to go both days if possible, let Emily know.

April 3-5 Parents weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) :
We will be doing demonstrations for the parents. We will pick one of those days (which ever is convenient for you) and do a demonstration. I need volunteers who would be willing to do these demonstrations. Of course you got to plan ahead and think of what you what to demonstrate (you can use weapons, or just do a Kata). But I prefer we be creative this time.

Aikido demonstration for cherry blossom festival:
Here is another demonstration we plan to do. The date is still to be determined. Again, I need volunteers to do the demonstration.

Vassar Mixed Martial Arts Seminar (Either April 11 or 18 or 25):
This seminar will be another opportunity for you to learn other styles of martial arts. I am still in the planning stages but here is your opportunity to voice your concerns. If the date does not work for you let me know. Do you want focus to be on pins or joint locks, or ground sparring?

May at the Mojo:
Friday May, 1 _ 7PM - 9PM
Saturday May, 2 _ 9:30AM - 5PM
Sunday May, 3 _ 9:30AM - 12Noon
This event is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended. This is what you will get to see and learn:
a. You will get to see second degree and above black belt tests. (kata, and weapon techniques).
b. The biggest gathering of instructors and black belt members. (You will get to train with them).
c. You will get to learn some black belt techniques and your skills will improve drastically.
Once again, if you plan on going, let Emily (emmoog at vassar.edu) know so she can plan ahead.

Possibly going to see John Cameron or Shishida Shihan or something along those lines:
Once I get more information, I let you know what I decide. It depends if he come to New York.

Josselyn study break (another demo/recruiting event)
Still in the planning stages. Basically, I want to experiment with audience participation. Once again, I need volunteers. We need to come up a bunch of techniques that are fairly simple. For example, if you came to Saturday practice, the choke break I showed. Maybe teach how to fall. Give me ideas.

ELECTIONS at the end of the semester:
For those of you who plan to become part of the board for next year, help plan now so you can get a heads up on things work. I would definitely encourage of you to run. Here are a few good reasons:
a. We need you.
b. You learn team work, time management, planning ahead, networking. Invaluable skills which will come in handy when you leave Vassar College.
c. Something to put in your resume.

Well, that's it. If you want more information, talk to me.

Sincerely,
Leon.