[Sci-all-l] March 2nd Physics and Astronomy Colloquium

James Lombardi lombardi at vassar.edu
Tue Feb 22 09:55:08 EST 2005

This should be a great talk. ---Jamie

            Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
            ================================
                Wednesday, March 2 2005

          "X-ray Emission from Massive Stars"

                      David Cohen
                  Swarthmore College

            Physics Lecture Hall (Room 207)
              Sanders Physics Laboratory
                    Vassar College

  Tea and Cookies at 3:45, Lecture begins at 4:00 PM

The huge increase in spectral resolution provided by the
XMM-Newton and Chandra telescopes has shed new light on
several different aspects of the long-standing problem x-ray
emission in massive stars.  I will discuss some of the new
spectral diagnostics, with an emphasis on line profile
analysis, and the surprising things they have told us about
x-rays from the brightest, hottest, and most massive stars in
  our galaxy.  I will also discuss the modeling my group has
been doing to try to understand these new results, including
the development of a hybrid magnetic-wind model for very
young hot stars.  One of the surprises from the first few
years of Chandra and XMM observations is the diversity of
behavior seen in the dozen or so massive stars that have
been observed thus far.

More information can be found at astro.swarthmore.edu/~cohen

  James Lombardi                               Phone:  (845) 437-7081
  Assistant Professor of Physics                 Fax:  (845) 437-5995
  Department of Physics and Astronomy
  Vassar College
  124 Raymond Ave.
  Mail Drop 562