[Sci-all-l] Asprey lectures

Benjamin Lotto lotto at vassar.edu
Tue Oct 31 08:55:00 EST 2006

Dear All,

I would like to encourage all of you to come to Jon Kleinberg's first
lecture, "Modeling the Web, Mining my E-mail, and Other Perspectives
on the Information Revolution," on Wednesday evening at 8pm in Rocky
300. Try to bring a non-major friend or two, noting especially the
last sentence of the following abstract:

>  The rise of large-scale information networks such as the World
> Wide Web
> has been a profound and transformative development, and the terrain
> surrounding these systems is at once social, political, technological,
> and mathematical.  Some of the basic techniques for managing
> information
> at this scale, as well as some of our working metaphors for
> interacting
> with this information, have their roots in fundamental mathematical
> models, and we survey several that have played crucial roles over the
> past decade. These include the use of network analysis in the current
> generation of Web search engines; the modeling of temporal
> phenomena in
> tracking news, discussion, commentary, and blogging over time; and the
> role of human social networks in the foundations of current on-line
> media.
> The lecture will be self-contained, and in particular will assume
> no prior background in any of these topics.

Professor Kleinberg is also giving a second lecture, "Search Problems
and Complex Networks," on Thursday afternoon at 4:30pm in Rocky 300.
It is a version of the Nevanlinna Prize lecture he gave at the
International Congress of Mathematicians in Madrid in August.  Here's
the abstract:

> The study of complex networks has emerged over the past several
> years as
> a theme spanning many disciplines, ranging from mathematics and
> computer
> science to the social and biological sciences.  A significant
> amount of
> recent work in this area has focused on the development of
> probabilistic
> and algorithmic models that capture some of the qualitative properties
> observed in large-scale network data; such models have the
> potential to
> help us reason, at a general level, about the ways in which real-world
> networks are organized.
>
> We discuss one particular line of network research, concerned with
> small-world phenomena and decentralized search algorithms, that
> illustrates this style of analysis.  We begin by describing a well-
> known
> experiment that provided the first empirical basis for the ``six
> degrees
> of separation'' phenomenon in social networks; we then discuss some
> probabilistic network models motivated by this work, illustrating how
> these models lead to novel algorithmic and combinatorial questions,
> and
> how they are supported by recent empirical studies of large social
> networks.

I hope to see you there on Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon!

Thanks,
-Ben Lotto

--
Benjamin Lotto
Chair, Department of Mathematics & College Marshal