[Sci-all-l] Upcoming Asprey Series Lecture, Feb. 9

Luke Hunsberger hunsberg at cs.vassar.edu
Fri Jan 26 14:08:57 EST 2007

Chris Welty of IBM Research will be giving an Asprey Series lecture on
Friday, February 9 at 4:00 p.m. (place to be determined).  The talk
is titled "AI and the Web" (i.e., "Artificial Intelligence" and the Web!).

For up-to-date information on the talk (esp. the yet-to-be-determined
location), go to the computer science web site (http://www.cs.vassar.edu)
and click on "events".

    Abstract: In this talk I will briefly cover the history of AI and
              the web and then discuss the future, especially with
              respect to the synthesis of AI and the Web. New
              developments in the web, like so-called "Web 2.0"
              technologies and the semantic web, promise to radically
              change the world in ways that may make the first web
              revolution seem minor. We are coming to a new
              understanding about the nature of machine intelligence,
              the nature of human intelligence, the nature of group
              intelligence, and how they can all be combined into a
              new kind of intelligence.

Luke Hunsberger
Computer Science
hunsberg at cs.vassar.edu