[Unix-l] Campus network information

Eric Myers myers at noether.vassar.edu
Fri Apr 2 17:01:58 EST 2004

I have collected together the info I can get about network
configuration on campus into the following web page:

  http://noether.vassar.edu/~myers/help/TCPconfig.html

If you are setting up a personal computer or laptop then the
easiest way to configure the network is to use DHCP and let it
assign the address, netmask, gateway etc that way.   But this
page at least lets you check that the DHCP server has given
reasonable values.

A machine which has a known name in DNS will have a fixed IP address
and so will probably have to have all of these things set manuall.
(MacOSX has a nice option to set the IP address manually but get
everything else from DHCP.)

I'll update anything that changes if I hear about it.

        -Eric Myers