[Vcfilmmakers-l] Three Fast Approaching Things

Kyle Porter kyporter at vassar.edu
Thu Nov 12 00:33:13 EST 2009

Yoz,

ONE:
Meeting this Friday at 6PM in Rocky 312 (after Brian's workshop I decided that I liked this room the best for our meetings). We'll be discussing blocking, which I never realized before Ramin Bahrani came could add layers to your shots and scenes if it's carefully planned. (I'll show some clips that he showed us in his directing workshop for senior production majors and will attempt to replicate his explanations of the complicated steps he went through to achieve his intricately fashioned scenes.)

We'll also be workshopping Tim and Eric's new script, which I've attached to this email. Try to give it a glance before you come by the meeting - I'm sure they'll appreciate your comments.

There are also a couple Film League events coming up that you might be interested in having your films screened before, so make sure you come to the meeting if you want to know more about this.

TWO:
Philaletheis is looking for someone to film this weekend's production of Crave.  This is a paid job and a good opportunity to get to know the Vassar Filmmakers' camera equipment.  Anyone who's interested can e-mail Alex (allevy at vassar.edu) about details on what exactly is expected in situations like this, aka filming for a theatrical production.  Also, jobs like this often lead to more jobs in the future.

THREE:
Hip Hop 101 presents an exclusive pre-release screening of "Turn It Loose," a phenomenal new documentary that has only been publicly shown at film festivals until this showing.

The Plot:
In September 2007, 16 of the world's best b-boys battle one on one in a disused power station in the heart of Soweto, South Africa, to determine who will be the next world champion. TURN IT LOOSE is a film about this competition. Through the eyes of six competitors we leave behind any preconceived notions of what breakdance used to represent, and as the film digs deeper into their lives, we discover an extraordinary form of non-contact combat that has evolved over 30 years to become a truly 21st century global phenomenon, stretching the limits of physical capability and pushing dance itself to astonishing new heights.