[Vcfilmmakers-l] Sound tutorial + Meeting Notes

Kyle Porter kyporter at vassar.edu
Sun Oct 4 23:23:00 EDT 2009

Yoz,

To all those that attended the first sound tutorial, please let me know if I can further explain things that were unclear to you. Ideally, every crew that forms will have someone that I will be able to train on set to do sound so that the club can have more people knowledgeable about location sound and sound design. Remember that one of the clearest distinctions between student films and professional ones is the quality of a film's sound design. Thus, learning how to effectively use the equipment and shooting while taking sound into consideration will automatically give your films a professional quality. The SECOND SOUND TUTORIAL will occur this Wednesday at 5PM in Rocky 201.

Upcoming FILM SCREENING:
“Seoul Train” Film screening –

At 7:00 on October 7th, Amnesty International (with the help of cosponsors, ASA) and Liberty in North Korea (LiNK), a non-profit organization, will screen the documentary “Seoul Train” in Rocky 200. This film tells the story of North Korean refugees as they make the dangerous journey out of North Korea and through China, utilizing an underground railroad that they hope will bring them to safety and freedom. LiNK representatives will be present at the event to discuss their work. Here is a link to a trailer for, and description of, the film: http://www.linkglobal.org/take-action/tours/tour_about.html.  Hope to see you there!

 - Amy Weintraub, president of Vassar College Amnesty International

MEETING NOTES 10.2.09 (please note that these notes include current projects needing more help):
1. HARVEST BALL "OLD HOLLYWOOD" VIDEO (for November 21st)
Joss and others are throwing the Harvest Ball and want to project old black and white movie clips during the dance.
The compilation can be about half an hour long and will play on repeat.
This would be the main decoration, basically.
Would entail simply putting clips together - possibly linking sections with common themes (aka dancing, close-ups, kisses, etc.) though these issues will be up to you.
Jon Miller will be in touch with those that expressed interest soon about working on this project.

2. Meet Me in Poughkeepsie
If you signed up, Grace will be in touch with you about the details of our trip to the movies next Saturday. If you didn't sign up - too late!

3. MERCH!!!
Logo/t-shirt design contest is now OPEN!!
We're thinking of getting T-shirts and shot glasses.
Create a design for a T-shirt or make a logo for the club and then send it to me - we'll vote on what designs we like best next meeting.
On the shot glasses, we want to put both the Vassar Filmmakers logo and black-and-white pictures of famous classic movie stars - SOME EXAMPLES ARE ATTACHED.
So far we have: Buster Keaton, Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, Travis Bickle, Alex (from Clockwork Orange), Edward Scissorhands, and the Elephant Man.
We'd like some help with photoshopping these pictures and turning them into easier graphics for printing.

If you have OTHER PICTURES OR IDEAS, email them to us by this WEDNESDAY BY 5PM!
Remember, this is YOUR MERCH! You get to buy it and be proud of it and flaunt it to others! Make it badass!

4. Kristen Ritter's WEBSERIES project is MOVING AHEAD!
She is still looking for people to help out so email krritter at vassar.edu if you are interested in BEING A PART OF HER CREW or acting in the series.

5. TIM + ERIC'S EXPERIMENTAL "PERFORMANCE" - our org is helping out our Equipment Managers with their "performance" in the Shiva THURSDAY OCTOBER 15TH. It should be incredibly weird - a bit of an assault on all your senses. More on this next meeting.

6. SOUND TUTORIAL
Screened clips from "The Conversation" and "Nashville" and then discussed how to use the sound equipment for location sound purposes. SECOND TUTORIAL IS NEXT WEDNESDAY AT 5PM IN ROCKY 201.

FINALLY - please send me any ideas or anything you might want to film. These do not have to be narrative scripts, but can be documentary ideas or experimental film ideas. Also, please feel free to contact Tim and Eric to take out and use the equipment (if you have been trained with it). It would probably be helpful if you were to experiment with the equipment a bit before you try to shoot something serious.

If you've read this far, here's a little contest for you - I'll give a buck to the first three people who know what movie the following quote is from (board members excluded):

A winner doesn't shiver,
Kyle

PS - In the future, emails will be separated into their component parts on our website. For example, if you wanted information on certain film shoots that are happening, you could simply click over to that part of the site to find that out and wouldn't have to sift through the masses of information I send out. Expect the launch of the website sometime soon.