[Vcfilmmakers-l] End of the Year Screening - Submission Process

Timothy O'Connor tioconnor at vassar.edu
Fri Mar 26 17:50:16 EDT 2010

Hey all -

So the End of the Year screening is coming up, and for those of you who have done (or are planning to do) any projects, here's the steps that we'd like you to take.

1. Send an e-mail to myself or Eric (erschuman at vassar.edu) with details on your project: Title, length (approximate) and brief summary (just a sentence or so).

2. Once you're finished editing, export your movie by following these steps:
   a. In Final Cut, go to File --> Export --> Using Quicktime Conversion
   b. Select the location where you want to save the finished file (the desktop works fine)
   c. Hit "options"
   d. Make sure both "Video" and "Sound" are checked.
   e. Under Video, hit "Settings." Make sure the compression type is H.264 (this is the default). Slide the Quality bar over to "Best." Hit OK.
   f. Under Video, hit "Size." Check "de-interlace source video" (VERY important). Under "Dimensions," select Custom. Then enter in the open fields:
      - For Widescreen (16:9) Projects: 853 x 480
      - For Fullscreen (4:3) Projects: 640 x 480
      Hit OK.
   g. Under Sound, hit "Settings." Make sure Stereo is select under "Channels." Change Quality from "Normal" to "Best." Change the Sample Size from 16 to 32. Hit OK.
   h. Hit OK on the "Movie Settings" window.
   i. Hit Save.

 Note: Depending on the length of your movie, exports can take a pretty long time and eat up a lot of CPU. I'd recommend exporting at a time where you're not going to need your computer (start it right before you go to sleep is usually a good bet).

3. Send another e-mail to me or Eric letting us know that your file is ready to go. We'll then arrange how we'll transfer the file over to the harddrive that we're going to be projecting from.

Just to make sure that we have time to get everything organized before the screening, we would like all films to be screen to be ready to go by FRIDAY, MAY 7th.

That's about it. Any questions about any of this stuff, don't hesitate to send an e-mail or call us up.

GOOD DAY,
Tim