[Vassarfilmmakers-l] MEETING FRIDAY and other exciting tidbits

Grace Statwick lestatwick at vassar.edu
Thu Sep 30 01:11:43 EDT 2010

Folks, blokes, jokers who smoke... here's a list of things intended to coax.

1. Meeting this Friday.
2. Meet Me in Poughkeepsie! Saturday, October 9.
3. Get on the set of Caroline's project!
4. American Pavilion interest meeting.
5. Deep student discounts on software. Y'know, so that you're not forced to download stuff illegally or anything.
_______________________________________
1.
Bad-ass meeting this Friday, 5 pm, Rocky 312.

SHOTLISTING and scene break-down: Ok, so you know the basics of writing a script, now, right? Yeah? And you know how to use a camera to shoot...theoretically...right? So how the heck d'ya use the ONE to plan the OTHER?

We'll be looking at an excerpt from the script of everyone's favorite American neo-noir classic, "Chinatown" - and then we will decide, as a group, how we'd break down the beats and shoot the scene.

Do you know what these terms mean?
-ECU
-OTS
-2-shot

If so, congratulations, you rule. But do you also know how/when to use these types of shot, in a scene, to great dramatic effect? Come find out!

After we decide on our shotlist, we'll watch the scene and take a look at how the professionals did it. A very useful exercise.
2.
Meet Me in Poughkeepsie, all day, Saturday October 9th!

Here's the sign-up form:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dG5PbDN5VVNBSTFreVpTTGpxbUo2Z0E6MQ

IMPORTANT: SIGN UP CLOSES ON SUNDAY!! Tell your friends! Come with us to Frankenstein's Fortress! I've been there, and believe me, it's frickin' cool as balls.

You can also sign up for several events. Have a grand ole' Saturday.

3.
>From Caroline Symons (casymons at vassar.edu):

"Ok here's what's up:

GUYS, if you are still interested in helping me film (you should still be interested in helping me film), email me at casymons at vassar.edu. Listen up! Here are the days we're looking to shoot:

Sun, Oct. 3 @ 2
Mon, Oct. 4 @ 3
Tues, Oct. 12 @ 3

The last date is the one where we'll need the most help, but anything is appreciated! Here's the link to the first episode (in two parts) to convince you that this is Totally Your Thing:

http://vimeo.com/channels/107069"

The new script is hilarious. Get involvedddddd

4.
Informational Meeting about the Cannes American Pavilion Student Filmmaker Program.
Friday, October 1st, 3 pm. Rosenwald (room 109), in the CDF.

"Our program director Walter Harris will be speaking about our internship
programs at the Cannes Film Festival, Toronto Film Festival & Venice
Film Festival on October 1st at Vassar.

I've attached a flyer you can send to your membership if any of you are
interested in attending. Thank you so much for your time, we hope to see
you then!

Alexa Boothe
Student Programs Coordinator

The American Pavilion
9336 West Washington Boulevard
Building C, Suite 106
Culver City, CA 90232
Phone: (310) 202-3375
US Mobile: (310) 903-7469
Fax: (310) 202-3371"

Wow, she has a lot of numbers. Just look at all those numbers.

5.
Mike Wood, our treasurer, and a very upstanding citizen, says:

"Here's a link to some very deep student discounts on Adobe software packages that include Premiere Pro CS5, After Effects, and Photoshop:

http://www.journeyed.com/product/search?srch_cat=&qk_srch=production+premium+teacher&uumc=dccolkp4

I've bought editing software from JourneyEd before, at similarly ridiculous discounts, and it's easy- you just need to give them proof that you're a student (a scan of your VCard sitting on a current transcript works).  They also sell Final Draft 8 on a good student discount."

Ok, dudes and dudesses, see you soon.
grace