[VCFilmmakers] In Bruges Screening Wednesday

Sarah Ragan saragan at vassar.edu
Mon Apr 16 21:59:44 EDT 2018

Hey, to be honest I'm really disappointed that this movie is being
screened. McDonagh is an intentionally ableist and racist man, who has
written plays and movies that rely on slurs, stereotypes, and gratuitous
violence both perpetrated by and experienced by people of color people and
disabled people. I know this because before I knew better, I read every
single one of his plays and watched all of his movies. For example, The
Pillowman's punchline is that a developmentally disabled person is secretly
a serial killer. Another work has a slur right in the title. A Behanding in
Spokane uses the n slur nearly every page, and when he was called out for
this, he defended himself. Another one of his films is based on ableism,
which is obvious when you read the title. I could go on and on. Please do
not screen this film.

Sarah Ragan