[VCFilmmakers] In Bruges Screening Wednesday

Leon Brill lebrill at vassar.edu
Tue Apr 17 00:54:17 EDT 2018

Hey Filmmakers,

As I'm sure you've seen, a former student has expressed her concerns with
our screening for this Wednesday. While I reached out to speak with her,
she has unfortunately not gotten back to me. Other students, however, have
emailed me expressing a desire for the screening to continue with the
acknowledgment of potential triggers for some students.

As a way to compromise between the two viewpoints, *I would like to hold a
discussion immediately after the film* to talk about the potential racial
implications of the film, Martin McDonagh's work at large, as well as what
the role of an audience should be in regards to films which depict racism
and ableism in a manner that does not outright condemn such behaviors. So,
those of you that wish to take part in this discussion need only stay in
Rocky once the film has ended.

Please feel free to voice any other concerns or opinions directly to me or
any other member of the filmmakers' exec board.

Best,
Leon Brill