[Aikido] Syllabus for New Aikido Students...

Sean Flynn flynn at vassar.edu
Tue Feb 3 17:14:13 EST 2004

Dear Everybody,

   Thanks to Shishida Sensei's guidance, we now have an excellent syllabus
for new students.  I have attached it to this e-mail and would like each of
you to go over it carefully, as you will be using it to instruct new students.

   As you can see, the syllabus stretches over five practice periods.  In
those practices, we will teach new students both back falls and side falls
as well as 7 aikido techniques: Shomen ate, Tenkai Kote Hineri, Kote
Gaeshi, Aigamai ate, Gyaku Gamae ate, Gedan ate, and Ushiro ate.  After the
five practices, new students may apply to become members of the Vassar
College Aikido Club.  To be accepted, they must pay dues, read and take a
simple test about my aikido book, and commit to buying a uniform within a
reasonable amount of time.

   I'm going to want new students to print out a copy of the syllabus and
bring it with them for the five practices, checking off after each practice
one of the days, to indicate mastery of that day's curricula.

Yours truly,

Sean Flynn
Assistant Professor of Economics
Vassar College