[Vcfilmmakers-l] Exec Board Positions

Kyle Porter kyporter at vassar.edu
Mon Mar 8 06:27:41 EST 2010

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know about the Exec Board for next year in case you are interested in A) joining the board or B) playing a part in choosing who will be on the board and in what positions. While we are still unsure of how the people and positions will be chosen, we have decided on what positions there will be for next year. Note that everyone already on the Exec Board (except for me since I'm graduating), will continue to be on it next year, though the positions they will be occupying are up in the air. Thus, there will 2-3 open positions since we want to have a 7-8 person Exec Board next year.

The positions are:

President (1)
In short, the President manages everything. He/She is the main contact for the club and the primary person who organizes meetings and workshops. He/She will also likely be the main person inviting guests to speak at Vassar. He/She must be able to delegate jobs to the Exec Board, and should have a deep-seated love for writing emails and organizing events. (Note that the President must have been on the Exec Board already in order to qualify for the position.)

Vice-Presidents (2)
In short, Vice-Presidents take care of everything the President cannot. This includes organizing details of events (such as locations and times), getting events approved by any necessary Departments and Campus Activities, taking care of creating club merch, etc. They also provide another voice when people bring in their ideas and scripts to be workshopped, and are encouraged to also invite speakers to Vassar.

Treasurer (1)
Mike will be retaining his position as Treasurer. But in case you were curious, Mike deals with everything and anything related to money, which is a lot of stuff in an org as active as the Filmmakers.

Equipment Manager(s) (1-2)
The Equipment Manager(s) deals with everything equipment related. This includes organizing who is using what equipment, as well as making sure that the equipment is properly functioning (and is all there when it is returned). He/She/They also carry out training sessions to educate people who have not yet used the equipment. (Note that if 2 equipment managers are selected, they must either live together, be best friends, or be amazing at keeping in touch in order to avoid confusions and miscommunications.)

Publicity &/or Web Administrator (1-2)
Anyone interested in doing publicity would create posters and fliers for all of our events and would organize the methods by which paper ads were distributed throughout the campus.
Also, we want to make our website more active and having someone who knows more than the average schmo about web design would help out with this a lot. Thus, if you know web design, please consider this position.

Application:
These will be DUE by FRIDAY, MARCH 26TH, so that we know who wants to be in each position and therefore how we should shape the selection process.
If you want to apply to be on the Exec Board, please send me (kyporter at vassar.edu) an email specifying what position you are applying for and why you are qualified for that position. If you want to apply for multiple positions, specify why you would be qualified for each position you are applying for.
If you're interested in doing Publicity, please try to also include a poster or some kind of design that you created - though this is not essential, it will help us to see some of your work when making a decision.
If you have experience with web design and are applying to be the Web Administrator, please send links to site(s) you have worked on.

On a personal note, I'll just say that I've had a great time heading up Vassar Filmmakers and that being a part of the Exec Board allows you to really make things happen. For example, I thought it would be really cool to have shot glasses with actors on one side and our logo on the other; I also thought that people making films in 12-hours would be a great way to get people making movies right from the beginning of the year; finally, I think that Kelly Reichardt's future projects will continue to grow in size and depth, and that it was really useful for me to learn about getting the rights to music & copyrighting a script from a working entertainment lawyer. While you can always suggest people to come to Vassar and events you'd like to happen, it's much easier to get things done when you're actually a part of the board.

However, it's definitely a time commitment, as events & workshops take a lot of organizing and we get requests for our services from lots of other orgs and departments on campus. The Exec Board also meets once a week in order to make sure that events are on track, our finances are in order, our equipment is functioning and being used, and so that we can brainstorm ideas for the future. While I was responsible for a lot that happened this year, I was not the only person responsible for bringing guests to campus and many of the workshops we've done have been the idea of others on the Exec Board. Everyone on the Exec Board plays an integral part in shaping what we do from week to week and month to month.

Looking forward to your submissions,
Kyle